Thingstream is simple to use, once you get to know it. This tutorial aims to get you familiar with the Thingstream user interface and it's features.
The Dashboard is the information hub of your Thingstream domain, providing you with simple views about what's going on with your Things.
- Dashboard: To get to the Dashboard, choose Dashboard in the Thingstream sidebar.
- Domain Report: Keep an eye on all of your domain activity with our useful domain stats and charts. Just click on a chart to change the reporting period.
The Things page is where you manage all of the devices that communicate with your Thingstream domain. Things can communicate via a Thingstream SIM or over the internet.
Thing actions are placed in the overflow menu on the right-hand side of each row. Click this icon to show all the options available for your Thing, allowing you to activate or deactivate it, manage your SIM subscription etc. You will also find the API keys that you'll need in order for your internet Things to connect and authenticate with your domain.
- Things: To get to the Thing directory, choose Things in the Thingstream sidebar.
- Your Things: Search, filter and organise your devices.
- Add a Thing: Add a new device or enter an activation code.
- Overflow menu: Find important thing details and actions.
The Topics page allows you to create MQTT topics for your Things to use. You can also create a topic alias for use in Things which use the Thingstream SDK.
- Topics: To get to the Topic directory, choose Topics in the Thingstream sidebar.
- Your Topics: Search, filter and organise your Topics.
- Create a Topic: Create a new Topic to forward messages from Things to Subscribers.
- Overflow menu: Find important Topic actions.
- Flows: To get to the Flow directory, choose Flows in the Thingstream sidebar.
- Your Flows: Search, filter and organise your Flows.
- Create a Flow: Create a new Flow from scratch or use our official Flow library to kick-start your development.
- Overflow menu: Edit and deploy Flow versions.
Create and edit a flow from the flows tab in the Thingstream portal. All flows start with a Thingstream-subscribe node and you can then wire up additional nodes as required. There is a handy debug node which allows you to see debug output from your flow, and a catch node which you can just drop into the flow without any wiring to catch any errors thrown by other nodes in the flow.
Once you have created your flow, you can use Thingstream's test deployment feature to try it out before deploying it for full production use. In test mode, only one device can subscribe to the flow, and any changes made in the editor are applied dynamically in real time, meaning that you don't have to leave the editor screen and re-deploy your flow to see the effect of your change.
If you want your flow to run when a specific Thingstream button is pressed, use
device/<device identity>/publish as the topic when you deploy. You can get the identity from the Thing Info page, accessed from the overflow menu on the Things list. You want to use the Identity value and not the DeviceID. You can also have the flow run for any button press, in which case you can replace the device identity value with a plus (+) symbol e.g. "device/+/publish".
The Subscriptions page shows you the flows that you have deployed and statistics about how those flows are running. This information will soon be moving to the flows page, and the subscriptions page will be removed from the portal.
- Subscriptions: To get to the Subscription directory, choose Subscriptions in the Thingstream sidebar.
- Your Subscriptions: Search, filter and organise your Subscriptions.
- Overflow menu: Edit a Subscriptions details and tags.
The Events page will show information about what is going on in your domain. You'll see devices connecting, subscribing to topics and publishing. The events in the list are colour coded (red, amber and green) to help you quickly identify anything that's going wrong.
- Events: To view Domain Events, choose Events in the Thingstream sidebar.
- Your Domain Events: See what's going on in your domain.
- Refresh: Update your Domain Events log.
The Settings page contains three sections:
- Team Members: Give everyone on your team access to your Thingstream domain
- Domain Settings: Here, you can control domain level attributes like, updating the display name of your domain, get the domain access keys that you'll need to allow MQTT clients to connect and control the sending of domain error notification emails,
- Plan: This is where you can upgrade your account to the Pro or Enterprise Plans and unlock the ability to add additional Things, purchase SIMs and other devices from the shop and make use of live flows with Enterprise scalability. You can also manage your payment details and check on unbilled usage charges.
The Thingstream shop allows you to purchase devices that will help you quickly prototype new Things for use with Thingstream.
- Shop: To get to the Shop, choose Shop in the Thingstream sidebar.
- Products: Browse and buy our official Thingstream hardware.
The Documentation icon brings you here, to the Thingstream developer documentation, where you can find information to help you use Thingstream. If you can't find what you need, just drop an email to email@example.com and we'll be happy to help you out.